1. The Parramatta Catholic Education Office and NSW Roads and Traffic Authority recommend that children under 10 years of age DO NOT ride bicycles to or from school unless accompanied by an adult.
2. Parents / Carers must provide a written note to the school advising that they give permission for their child to ride their bike to and from school.
3. Children must correctly wear a Standards Australia approved bicycle helmet at all times when in control of a bicycle.
4. All RMS road rules concerning bicycles are to be followed. This includes the pedestrian’s right of way on footpaths. The bell should be used as a warning when approaching pedestrians.
5. Bicycles ridden to school must be in good, safe working order and bicycles must be fitted with a bell. It is the responsibility of the parent/carer to ensure that the bicycle is in good and safe working order and that all protective equipment as required by law is provided.
6. Bicycle riders are expected to use the available pedestrian entry points. These include: McCulloch Street Pedestrian Gate for entrance and exit only.
7. Children are to dismount before entering the school grounds and walk their bicycles whilst on site.
8. Bicycles are to be stored in the bike rack provided. Bicycles must be locked with a chain and padlock supplied by the bicycle owner.
9. Bicycles and helmets are brought and stored on school grounds at the owner’s risk.
10. Parents will be notified if children do not adhere to the School’s Bicycle Policy. Parents will be notified if students do not adhere to the School’s Bicycle Policy and permission will be withdrawn until the issues identified have been satisfactorily addressed.
11. No riding of bicycles, scooters, roller blades or skateboards is permitted in school grounds during and after hours.
Note: Skateboards, scooters and rollerblades are not permitted at St John’s Primary School under any circumstances, unless directed by teachers.