Who We Are

St John’s has a rich tradition and history that commenced from 1882, when the parish priest of Windsor visited the community weekly.

The present church was built in 1904 and the parishioners of that time put so much energy and vision into the building, that it still stands and serves the St John’s parish community today.

In 1950, Sr Margaret Mary, Sr Angela and Sr Francis of the Order of Saint Clare began teaching in Riverstone. They travelled daily from Richmond until their convent was built in 1957. The church held the first classes and by the end of 1950 the school had over 100 students enrolled. We became a parish in 1951, with Fr Keogh appointed as the first parish priest.

The present parish hall was the first school building and had two classrooms. The James Mason Memorial School building was built in 1954 and the nearby building, closest to Garfield Rd, was constructed in 1958. This building became St John’s Secondary School for five years until the secondary section ceased.

In 1980, we had our first lay principal and in 1981 the sisters of the Order of St Clare ended their teaching at the school. The sisters’ contribution and sacrifice to St John’s Riverstone, was immense and we owe them a great deal.

In 1978, the present two-storey office, canteen and classroom block was constructed.

More recently, all learning spaces were significantly upgraded to create 21st century learning environments. They are equipped with technology, furniture and resources, and a reading recovery program space was created. These upgrades have enabled St John’s to offer a more progressive and innovative learning environment.

In addition, the administration area was refurbished and a new three-stream library and multi-purpose area have been constructed. The library and multi-purpose area are used by all grades and are central areas for learning. All areas incorporate the ability to use wireless technology.

Many students have journeyed through our school over the years and they have been blessed with many dedicated and caring teachers. We have been privileged to learn together in a happy environment and it has been our longstanding success. Our intention is for this success and dedication to continue.